Monday 16 June 2014

GETTING PERSONAL WITH DRU CHEN

(Photo by Edwin Tejoz)
 
Some time last year, I came across this video on YouTube. Charlie Lim was jamming with this other guy. They were doing a cover of a D’Angelo song called “Lady”, and my ears pricked up! Who IS this guy? He’s really not bad at all. Actually, he sounds pretty awesome! That was how I first came to know about Dru Chen and his brand of pop, funk and soul music (or “neo-soul music”, so it’s been called by some).

I finally got to meet him last month, he was going to perform with Bec Laughton and Gareth Fernandez, so I decided to go along and watch him play at Music Matters Live with HP. I wanted to see if he was really all that he seemed to be on YouTube. Let’s just say that he was even more impressive when he played live.

As it turns out, one thing led to another, and I found myself having this one-on-one interview with the man himself. We were sitting at a table in this lovely Irish pub called Molly Malone’s at Boat Quay. Dru was doing 3 sets that night, but between sets, he made time to chill out and chat with me.

So what’s he like in person? Ooooh, don’t let me spoil it for you, just have a read of what he said during our interview, and see for yourself what a warm, talented and understatedly charming guy he is.


Q: How did you get started playing music?

When I was 5, my parents got me this little Casio keyboard.



They enrolled me in a group class in Eltham North (a little country suburb out of Melbourne) with a bunch of kids. Our teacher quickly figured out that I was learning faster than the other kids so my mum started me on one-to-one tuition with a private teacher. Her name was Ms. Thompson.

We moved to Singapore when I was 7 and my parents tried to get me in a piano program but it was full, so they enrolled me in violin instead. I ended up learning both classical piano and violin for 11 years.

At the same time, I picked up the guitar, bass and drums on my own in Middle School. I studied at OFS (Overseas Family School) and our music teacher was kind enough to let me into the music room after hours when everyone had left. I practiced in that room for hours from the age of 13 to 16. It was then I started writing songs and performing them in cafes and bars.

I moved back to Australia at 17 to study music full-time at Queensland Conservatorium of Music. Yup!



Q: At what point did you decide that music was going to become a career for you?

I think I realized pretty young, around 12 or 13. I used to get obsessed with things and go through phases as a kid. When I was a toddler, I used to obsess over fans for some reason, like literally pedestal fans, ceiling fans and whatnot. Then it changed to cars when I was 5 or 6, then Basketball. The last one was music. I’m still obsessed!

I was blessed with a good ear and I practiced by arranging music for school bands, playing a variety of instruments during school concerts.

The harsh realities of the business kinda hit me after I graduated uni, as the music profession is a windy one with no definitive “pathways” to follow. However, through the encouragement of my peers and mentors, I’ve managed to stay on track! I still teach and play sessions, but my main focus is my original music.

Q: What’s been great about being a musician so far?


The ability to express yourself through your own songs both onstage and in the studio is the greatest feeling.

Travel is another huge plus, especially if the purpose is for music. When you see foreign audiences reacting wonderfully to your music, you can’t help but feel the universal power of music. I’ve been fortunate enough to have played shows all around Australia, Singapore, Malaysia, The Philippines, and shortly I’ll be heading over to the US.

Q: What are some of the challenges you face in pursuing music professionally?


Not knowing what tomorrow brings! Constantly being on the road or being in flux with no sense of permanence. It’s also an emotional rollercoaster ride because all a myriad of factors (fear of failure, actual failure, missing home, missing friends, relationships, shows not going as planned, logistical issues, nervousness, sleep deprivation, wacky schedules). I think I’m learning to deal with these things better as I get older.


Q: You play many musical instruments, but which one do you enjoy playing the most, and why?

Oooo, this is a hard question! I go through phases of liking the piano more than the guitar and vice versa, but ultimately I’m a guitarist at heart. I’m particularly attached to my main guitar, the white Fender Stratocaster.



This guitar has been with me through thick and thin. Every country, every nervous gig, every recording session, every break up, it has become a part of me.


Q: Tell us more about your songwriting process. How do you do it? Is there some kind of method or ritual to it for you?


I write from pure emotion and inspiration. After I capture the initial spark, I polish it up with form, hooks, and whatnot, but it’s so important to capture the feeling when it’s happening. You just have to be ready to capture it on a voice memo on your phone or on your laptop.

Method-wise, sometimes I write from titles. ‘Turnaround’ and ‘You Bring Out TheBest In Me’ are examples of this. I knew I wanted to write a song with the title as central hook and so once I got that down, the rest was basically filling in the blanks and making it cohesive.

Q: What inspires you in your songwriting?


Life, relationships, dancing, having a good time, reminiscing. These are topics I can write sincerely and honestly about. Occasionally I do get inspired to write songs after hearing or jamming on other people’s tunes. I’m a bit of a music nerd, so naturally I spend hours listening and transcribing historically significant music. If something strikes me or grabs a hold of me, I might use that as the creative spark for a new song of my own.

Q: Every song has a story behind it, walk us through the songs in your “Intentions” EP.[ For those of you who wanna listen as you read the answers below, all 5 of these songs are now available on iTunes ]

1. You Bring Out The Best In Me
I wrote this about the kind of girl I’d like to date, going out to town, feeling proud to have her by my side and all that! Now, it’s kinda taken a different meaning live because I’ve added lots of audience participation bits. I end up dedicating the song to the entire audience every night! It’s become a bit of a crowd favourite, I’ve been told!

2. Lovelight
I always wanted to do a four-to-the-floor type thing, but not a full on dance track. It still had to have a soulful vibe. It’s got a rock element too, with the wailing guitar solo!

3. Turnaround
I wrote this one from the title. It comes from the old blues thing, where you play the 12 bar blues, and at the end of the sequence, you play a ‘turnaround phrase’ that gets you back to the top. I wanted to write a song that looped around like that, but I also wanted to incorporate “turnaround” in the lyric. I also had to make it relatable, so I decided to write about a girl that was on her way out the door after breaking up, and that I can’t make her change her mind, but if she wants to, please don’t hesitate and just come back, ‘cos the door is always open. That kinda thing.

4. Involved
This was an exercise in minimalism. A spacey future-soul thing, with Prince influences as well. I particularly like the call-and-response during the guitar solo between the backing vocals and the searing lead.

5. Trainwrecks
The first song I wrote! This was during High School, I think I was 15 or 16.
“All the memories of a difference life remain”. A past love.



Q: What is your favourite original song that’s been released to date, and why?
It’s a tie between ‘You Bring Out The Best In Me’ and ‘Turnaround’, my two singles. I guess those two are just the right blend of catchiness and soul.
At the risk of sounding terribly cliché, I still think overall my favourite original song hasn’t yet been released. Just like John Mayer said in “No Such Thing”, “I’d like to think the best of me is still hiding up my sleeve”. Artists are always morphing and changing, responding to outside environments and inner emotions. The next single is definitely a more personal, heart-on-sleeve affair.


Q: We understand you’re working on more songs for an upcoming album. How’s that coming along, and when can we expect it to be released?
It’s coming along great! Between travelling and playing shows, I get pockets of time to arrange studio sessions and collaborations with other musicians. We’re looking at a single later this year. Keep an ear to the ground!


Q: Will any of the songs in the EP be in the album too, or are you writing all new songs for the album?
All fresh material!


Q: You recently played at Music Matters Live with HP and attended the conference, tell us how you feel about your Music Matters experience, and what did you get out of it?
It was great to have so many industry people congregate in Singapore for three days. The talks were inspiring and it was great to see how down-to-earth certain music luminaries such as apl.de.ap (The Black Eyed Peas) and Daniel Glass (Glassnote Records) were. Hustling and networking are necessary evils in the music business, and I’m a naturally shy and introverted guy, so at times it felt a little intimidating, but all up, I enjoyed the experience. Pop/Soul singer Gareth Fernandez is a good friend of mine. He got me onstage to sing a few tunes with him during his sets, and that was really fun! I also played guitar for Australian singer Bec Laughton as well, which was awesome.

Q: You’re Australian, but you seem to have a strong Singapore connection, can you tell us more about it?

I was born in Australia but I grew up in Singapore between the ages of 7 and 17. I currently travel back and forth between Melbourne and Singapore.

Q: Share with us some of your favourite things.

Fave Singapore food:
Prata. Plain and simple, from Jalan Kayu.

Fave place in Singapore:
I love hanging out at Blujaz Café.

Fave movie:
‘Frequency’ starring Dennis Quaid and Jim Caviezel.
One of the best father and son movies of all time.


Fave actor/actress:
Anthony Hopkins and Jodie Foster in ‘Silence of The Lambs’. Absolutely brilliant.

Fave song:
Too many to mention. “Love Of My Life” by Queen, “Send It On” by D’Angelo, “Since I’ve Been Loving You” by Led Zeppelin are three that immediately come to mind.

Fave musician:
The perfect blend of Prince, Stevie Wonder and D’Angelo
Fave colour:
Kind of Blue, Blue in Green :-)
[ Hmmm, I think he means turquoise, like an in-betweenish blue & green colour, maybe? ]

Fave past-time:

Running and cycling. Long drives out in the country.

Q: Other than the upcoming album you’re working on, what are your plans for the future?

Live each day as it comes. Be prepared to make strong decisions. Keep healthy. Love deeply.


On a parting note, check out the futuristic music video for Dru Chen’s latest single “Turnaround”.
Dru’s now in LA, and will be performing live at Witzend, 1717 Lincoln Blvd, Venice, CA 90291.
The date to be there: 17 Jun 2014
The time to remember: 9.00pm
Go watch him play, if you’re in that part of the globe... believe me, it's worth it!


If you wanna know more about Dru Chen, you’ll find him at:
http://druchen.net/
https://www.facebook.com/druchenmusic

https://twitter.com/druchenmusic

http://www.youtube.com/user/druchenmusic


No comments:

Post a Comment